When you focus on growing yourself, you will be able to achieve so much more; you will be able to become the person you want to be. But how do we continue to keep moving forward with our growth every day? John Maxwell, in his book The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth, has some great personal development tips I would like to share with you:
1) When your dreams and goals relate strongly to your passions, strengths, and values, you will be self-motivated to grow as a person. When you have an important enough goal to pursue, you will not have a problem finding inner-motivation. On the other hand, if you procrastinate, talk negatively about your career, cast aside projects before they are completed, do only what is necessary to get by, and avoid investing time in self-improvement projects, you probably have not discovered a strong enough life dream to stir your ambitions. To develop the discipline to put effort into growing every day, you must find worthy pursuits that utilize your talents and values.
2) To develop the motivation to keep growing, start with small, simple projects. Don’t attempt to tackle big projects expecting quick results; this can only lead to discouragement. Begin by setting small goals that are easily achievable; then do them every day to develop positive habits. For example, if you want to improve your communication skills, select just one new skill and practice it every day until it becomes a habit.
3) Focus on enjoying the learning process. It is important to visualize where you want to be in the future, but it is more important to live in the present moment. To develop the motivation to keep moving forward with your growth, you must value and enjoy the learning process each day. To change the direction of your life takes time; the discipline to keep moving forward is cultivated from your daily focus and enjoyment of the learning process every day.
4) Develop an attitude that there will never be a better day to start changing yourself than today. As John Maxwell says, “Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.” You will never change your life until you start. And once you start it is important to develop daily habits. Daily discipline is what fills the gap between a desired goal and accomplishments.
5) It is good to have written personal growth objectives, but to develop the determination to keep moving forward you must become growth conscious. Develop the attitude to become growth conscious simply for the sake of improving yourself. When you become focused on your growth rather than a specific goal, you focus more on the present moment life growth process, you focus on how it is maturing you, you focus on how you are changing. When you become conscious of your daily growth, it fuels the discipline to keep moving forward every day.
It will become easier to keep moving forward with your personal development when you determine the important things in your life you want to pursue and tie into your talents, strengths, and values. To develop good daily work habits, select small achievable goals to foster encouragement, enjoy the present moment process of learning, and focus on the rewards of what you learn and how you grow every day. And most important, get started today.